Monday, April 14, 2014

Oi Familia!!! week 66 TRANSFERRRRRRS!!!!!!

On route to Boa Vista
4/14/14

Oi Familia!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you had an awesome week at the beach!! And I'm glad your foot surgery went well Dad! I hope you get better quickly! And that is a great idea for FHE! You will have to let me know how it goes!

Well first of all..... Last night was transfers!!!! And...... I am going to BOA VISTA!!!!!! I don't really know much about it except for it is a lot like Sal. And there are not many missionaries there, so for zone conferences I will most likely get to visit SAL!!!! I am super excited about that part!! I am serving with Sister Turner. I also don't really know much about her, but everyone says she is awesome and really hilarious. It's going to be GREAT!!!!!!!

My last week in Brava was really great! Except for the fact that last saturday we ran out of water. That isn't super unusual, but it almost always comes back a day or two later. We have a big barrel in our house full of emergeny water. But with four sisters in our house, we go through that barrel fairly quickly. So we used water super sparingly and waited.Sunday came around. No water. Monday. No water. Tuesday. No water. Wednesday. Still nothing!!!! And our barrel of water was down to the very very bottom. None of us had showered for days. Our dishes were piled up. None of us had clean clothes. It was getting pretty bad. Our mission president and his wife told us that if we go more than a day or two without water, we need to call a water truck to come bring us water. So we tried that.... But the water man in Brava wouldn't have water/be able to come by until friday! There was no way we'd be able to make it to friday without more water. So long story short, there is a well in the church. The four of us sisters walked to the church, pulled out water from the well, carried it back to our house in buckets on our heads while the whole island of Brava laughed uncontrollably at us, and we filled up our barrel! That water held us over until friday when the water man came and filled up our tank again. I'll send you pictures another day... :)

One day this week, we hadn't met with a certain investigator but we felt like we should to talk to her. Her name is Eva, and she lives in the same house as a member named Valter. When we got to the house, we knocked and Eva's cousin answered. She told us that Eva wasn't home. We said ok thanks, and then turned to leave. She shut the door, and we thought "well maybe we should ask when she'll be home". So we went back and that time Valter answered. Valter is in his 20's and is a really awesome member. But when he answered, he had a scarf up around his mouth, and he was crying. He looked aboslutely miserable. He explained that he had had a terrible toothache since the night before and needed to get one of his teeth pulled. But he didn't have money to get it pulled, and wouldn't get paid until the next week. He went to the hosptial and begged them to let him get the tooth pulled and then pay when he had money, but they wouldn't let him. So here he was, sobbing from the pain, without being able to do anything about it for several days. Sister Adams and I had just been talking to one of our strong members- Junior- that holds the priesthood, so we both immediately thought to call him and ask him to give Valter a blessing. He said of course he would, and he called one other man, Orlando, to come help. While we waited for them to get to Valter's house, we just sang hymns. It definitely invited the spirit, and calmed Valter down so much. Then Junior and Orlando arrived. They gave him a blessing. It was very simple, but absolutely amazing. Afterwards, Valter already looked so much better, and told us he was so grateful and already feeling better. We saw him in the street the next day. He looked perfectly normal!! We talked to him a little bit, and he told us how the pain had almost completely left after that blessing. It was such a miracle!! I am so grateful that the Lord led us to Valter right when he needed help. And I am so grateful for the priesthood and for worthy men who hold it.

Well that's about all I've got time for. I will tell you all about Boa Vista next monday!! I love you all!!!

Love,
Sister Turley :)
Beautiful Boa Vista

No comments:

Post a Comment