Brava
Oi Familia!!!!
Happy Conference weekend!!! That is so awesome that you got to go!! We downloaded the Saturday sessions during church yesterday and listened to them in our house when we got home from teaching. They were SO GOOD!!!! Seriously. A. MA. ZING. We are downloading the Sunday sessions/RS/priesthood ones today and will listen to them as well :)
And yes! This is the last week of the transfer! I could easily stay here or be transferred. I really have no idea what will happen! For now we will just keep working hard and make the most of this last week!!
This week we were trying to get our branch excited for general conference (since we will be watching it this next weekend). We thought it would be fun to have a lunch in between the sessions, and that it would also help people stay for both sessions instead of going home after the first. Sooo we (the sisters) planned this whole potluck lunch idea. We made a big sign up for people to bring rice or chicken or potatoes or cake. Then after sacrament meeting, the first counselor explained it to the branch. Everyone was a little confused at first, but then they started getting a little excited for it. People started signing up for stuff. It was great! Then our RS president stood up. She said "But this way, some people will fry the chicken, some people will bake the chicken, we will have all different types of food! This is a really bad idea!!" After that it pretty much turned into mass chaos. We tried explaining that was the point of a potluck!! Buuuut it was too late. We just looked at each other and laughed and left it to the branch to figure it out. Lesson learned: Don't ever try to make Cabo Verde do an American potluck.
Also one thing I am learning here in Brava is that missionary work really does need the help of the members. With the members, we can get SO much done. With out them, it is really hard for anything to happen. Brava especially is so small and still trying to get up on it's own two feet. The leadership is still learning how to run a branch, and so much just ends up on the missionaries shoulders. But especially in this past transfer, we have seen SO much progress! The leaders are actually starting to work together and take advice, and things are running at least a little smoother. And one thing that is especially amazing is how we have seen members have started doing home and visiting teaching! Before my mission, I really didn't understand the importance of home/visiting teaching. I mean, I always thought it was nice, but never super important. Well. These past couple of weeks, the branch has really started focusing on doing their visits. Visiting the active members as well as the inactive members. And it helps SO MUCH!!! Sister Adams and I have been trying to find new inactives that we haven't met yet. We found several this past week! And literally almost every time we talked to them, they said "Oh! There was a couple of members that just passed by the other day! They already invited me to church and I think I will go!" Members are such a crucial part of missionary work. We as missionaries invite people to come unto Christ. We help them make their first covenant of baptism. But in order for anything to happen beyond that, we really, really need our members! When people feel like they are loved and welcome at church, it seriously makes such a difference!
I love you all so very much!! Have a wonderful week!
Love,
Sister Turley
P.S. BONUS PICTURES THIS WEEK!!! My companion does NOT have a virus/any type of camera problem at the moment, so here are some pictures thanks to her! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment