June 23, 2013
Boa Vista and then Home
Oi Familia!!!
Wow. I cannot believe that I am already here writing my last email. It is finally feeling real that I am leaving Cabo Verde and that I am going home!
These past 18 months have been quite the journey. It really has been the best 18 months. I have done my best to give my all. My whole heart, might, mind, and strength. There is no way to even sum up the smallest part of everything I have felt and experienced over my time here. Here is just a small part of what the past year and a half has been:
The struggle:
*Seeing the people I love reject the gospel. That one is by far the hardest part.
*Lots of walking/hiking through the heat, the rain, the mountains, and the giant spiders
*Living in a third world country for 18 months...
*Lots of tears and lots of time down on my knees
*Learning Portuguese- and then having creole on top of it!
The best things:
*Bearing testimony every single day of the truths that I love so much. Then feeling the spirit testify of my words. There is nothing like it :) That is definitely one of the best things.
*Seeing the people I love so much gain their own testimony and then make their first covenant of baptism. And then having the opportunity of seeing some of those same people continue strong and prepare to make more covenants in the temple. It really does just bring a pure joy into their lives. And into my own life :)
*All the things I have learned and the person the Lord is making me. I don't know if anyone will see anything different about me, or just think I am the same old me. But I know that inside I have changed. I know I still have many, many weaknesses. I am no where near perfect. But I have come to find that we are happier when we are progressing. After all, that is why we are here! So as we work to follow our Savior and become more like Him, He will change us, and we will be happier!
*My companions! I have absolutely loved every single one of them. They have each taught me so much. And I have made some of my best friends through them.
*Gaining a deeper love, appreciation, and understading of the scriptures. Especially the Book of Mormon. The scriptures truly do have the answer to every single one of our questions and needs. They are full of Heavenly Father's love for us!
*Learning to speak Portuguese! I remember while serving in Praia about 10 months into my mission, one of the senior couples came to our house. He was talking to me and my Cabo Verdian companion. Afterwards, he left the room and his wife asked what he said. All I could think was that she had just heard the exact same thing I had heard! Why was she asking me what he said?? It was then that I realized... I speak Portuguese!
*And I think this is the biggest one: The greater love I have for my Savior.
Alma says it perfectly: "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
I know that He lives. I know that He loves us. I know that it is only through Him that we can find (and help others to find) eternal happiness and peace. Because of Him, we can do hard things. We can do all things! Because of Him, I have been given the chance to see many mightly miracles. And I will, without a doubt, praise His name forever. I love my Savior, and I love His gospel.
I love you all more than I can say! And I will see you this week!
Love,
Sister Jaime Turley :)
No comments:
Post a Comment