Monday, March 17, 2014

Oi Familia!!!! week 62

March 17, 2014
Brava


Oi Familia!!!!!!

That is awesome about your RS conference and your big missionary parent dinner! Sounds like it all went well! And mom nice job with the pecan pie!! :) This transfer will still end at the normal time like when it would have been without carnival. So it is a 5 week transfer. 

This week was super good!!! Sister Adams got here last Monday night. And I am so excited for this transfer with her!! She's already in her 8th transfer, so we are both pretty old on the mission. And she's just awesome! It will be good! 

Remember Ni and all his crazy miracles?? And how one of those was how he brought his friend Helder to church and all the activities? Well we have been teaching him along with Ni all this while, and we had given Helder the goal to get baptized this past Saturday. He totally accepted and has been preparing for a few weeks. He knows this church is true, and he really does want to be baptized. But at the beginning of last week, we asked him how he was feeling about his baptism that Saturday. He got a bit quiet and said he wasn't really sure. He didn't really want to say anything after that. Ni eventually said that it was basically because of his mom. He said she is super Catholic and doesn't want anything to do with this church. Helder had already tried talking to her about getting baptized, and only said that it went really, really badly. And one big problem was that since we had always taught Helder with Ni in Ni's house, and since Helder pretty much lives and hour and a half away, we still had not officially met the mom. We had of course already been planning on talking to her first thing that week, but with the way Helder had always talked about everything, we weren't anticipating any problems! Then after that, all anyone had to say about her was that she really is super Catholic, and that when she gets mad she gets REALLY mad and likes to throw things... soooo.... needless to say we were a little nervous. Then as that week went on, everything just kept getting more and more complicated. By Thursday evening, we had still not talked with her. Nothing was working out, and we had no idea what to do. We stopped by our house real fast to pray and think about what we should do. I don't have time to write everything that was happening, but at that point, we were thinking we needed to either to try to go that same to day aaaaall the way up to his house, or go the next day. We prayed about it, and afterwards I literally felt nothing. Just confused. I tried to make sense of my thoughts, and there was just nothing! Sister Adams also didn't know what to do. Finally I just told her, "Sister! I just feel so confused!" She then replied "I think that is the exact definition of a stupor of though... which means no..." LIGHTBULB!"  So at that point we decided that probably just meant no for that night, and the next day (the day before the baptism!) we'd go up. But then only about 30 minutes later, that plan was also ruined due to Ni not being able to show us where Helder's house is. (Have I mentioned before that no one here has addresses and you just have to be shown houses?) Sooo... we went back home and prayed again, this time about going up on Saturday. Oh my goodness!!! As soon as we started praying, I just felt so good. No more confusion. After the prayer I looked up at Sister Adams and she felt the same exact way! Right there I pretty much learned exactly what Lord is talking about in D&C 9: 8 and 9. So long story short, we went up to her house on Saturday. We fasted that whole day and prepared ourselves as well as we could. And when we got there, we actually had the best talk with his mom!! She was so understanding and relaxed and just really great!!! In the end, Helder did not end up getting baptized that same day, but only because he himself said he didn't feel he was ready. But him mom said that absolutely, when he feels ready, he is free to get baptized!!! It was a MIRACLE!!!!!

Well that is about all I've got time for. But this week was just so full of miracles!!! I love getting to be a part of this work!! I love you all!! Have a wonderful week!!

Love,
Sister Turley :)

an old pic of Jaime and Sis. Barros :)

No comments:

Post a Comment