I'm so happy that seminary and school and Janell's new teaching job and everything are going well! It's always fun to hear all about what's going on with all of you :)
This week I found out why Tarrafal is so beautiful and green! Remember when I said the rains had made it to Sal? Those rains were NOTHING compared to the rain here!! Sister Willey and I woke up at6:30 like always, and we looked out the window to see the most beautiful sunrise I've ever seen! The whole sky just about red! But then Sister Willey said "Well you know, red sky in the morning means RAIN!" I figured that just meant rain like normal rain. Nope. We went out to teach in the morning and the sky was as blue as ever without a cloud in sight. In the time it took us to teach a lesson and leave, the blue sky was completely gone and the rain was coming down seriously harder than I've ever seen in my life! The streets were already starting to flood after just a few minutes! We ran under a roof for just a couple minutes hoping it would let up. But it just didn't stop! It just came down harder and harder! We ran as fast as we could to our house, and at some points the water was literally well past our ankles! And we were trying hard to find the shallow places!! Hahah it was pretty exciting! Luckily it poured and poured during lunch, but then stopped just in time for us to go teach. Well... until it came back a couple days later! Haha it's going to be an exciting couple of months here!!
But Tarrafal really is awesome!!!!! The members here are SO helpful! And it seems like the biggest problem here is that there are more people to teach than we have time in the day!! This week has been so busy and so good! Sister Willey is an awesome companion and an awesome teacher and missionary! We have had some reeeally good lessons already! There's one man named Puto that we just started teaching. We were talking about the apostacy and restoration with him, and we read that scripture in Amos 8:11 about how there would be a hunger and thirst on the earth- not of bread or water, but of the word of God. After we talked for a little bit, he asked if he could say something. He told us that he has been feeling exactly like that scripture. He said he has had that hunger for a long time now, but hasn't known where to go! Until now! It really is the coolest thing every to find these people who are just so prepared! They are so ready to learn about and embrace the gospel! I love it!!!!
I love you all!!!
Love,
Sister Turley :)
P.S. This picture was taken at the BEGINNING of the rains! It only got deeper and deeper after that!
What a great story...he was ready and you were there!
ReplyDeleteThat is a lot of rain!