Monday, March 4, 2013

Oi Familia!!! Week #8





Oi!!

This week has seriously gone by so fast!! I feel like I was just writing you! Sorry to hear about Alvaretta (Wolff), Brother Horrocks, and Carol (McQuitty, Phoebe's sister). And all in the same week. At least they are all in a better place now. But the mission calls are so exciting!! And that is so exciting for Sariah!! (Hayford, We went through the Temple with her on Saturday- she leaves for her mission to OHIO Columbus Mission next month!!) I hope you gave her a big hug from me :) Haha whose blogs are you reading?? Haha and no worries about long emails. I LOVE your long emails :) And I don't have a half hour time limit anymore. The brace on my foot was so dumb!! I wasn't going to even say anything but I didn't realize you could see it in the picture... I don't even know what happened. I guess I'm just not used to walking in chacos all day over crazy terrain and cobblestone. It is fine now :) As far as Creole goes... I'm still trying to figure out Portuguese!! And actually they don't even really want us speaking Creole when we teach. I know a couple words but for now I'm just trying to get the hang of Portuguese. And do we have our own beds now? Yes. Are they mattresses sitting on the floor still covered in crinkly plastic? Yes. Do we reeeeally want to move into our new house?? Yes!! Haha. Hopefully we'll get approval soon and finally switch over to the new house. We cook for ourselves basically all the time. So we make lots of tortillas and chicken and bread. And I'm getting used to not having a big dinner. But I am super glad I brought all those granola bars! And yes!! I wear sunscreen ALL the time! :)

Today we got our hair pentear-ed. Meaning put into little cornrows. Hahaha. I kind of look bald. We all kind of do. But that's ok! I forgot to bring my SD card/flash drive thingy with me... so you'll have to wait until next week to see pictures :) We also went to Santa Maria! That is the super tourist-y part of Cape Verde. The beaches are beautiful!! The water is suuuuper blue and suuuuper clear!! Like the pictures we saw online that we were pretty sure were photoshopped! It was pretty cool.

I had my first baptism this saturday!! It was for that same boy I wrote a little about last week. It was quite the week trying to get him ready. We could never find him to teach him because he switches between a couple houses during the week and his aunt who he lives with most of the time did not want us there at all. But long story short, he was baptized! He is such a great kid and it was the best getting to see him baptized! 

We also officially found out that this month...... Cape Verde is getting another stake!!!! Super exciting!!! A member of the 70 is coming, so next week we get to fly to Mindelo! And he speaks English, not Portuguese! Phew! Haha. But really. The language is slowly but surely coming, but I am so glad I'll just be able to listen and understand him! 

Teaching here is the best though! Even if I'm still kind of struggling to understand, the spirit is just so strong in some of those lessons! I love it!!

Thanks for all your love and support and prayers! I love you all!!

Love,
Sister Turley :)

No comments:

Post a Comment